NASA Space Settlement Contest is an annual contest that is sponsored by, NASA Ames and the National Space Society (NSS) together. Students who are studying up to 12th class or 18 years old can participate in the contest from anywhere in the world. The participants can take part as individuals, large or small teams. Bigger teams are judged separately.
About the contest
- The entries are grouped based on age or grade.
- The students, as teams or individuals, are expected to create designs and related materials for space settlement.
- All the entries are sent to NASA Ames for judging.
- The participating candidates will receive a certificate of appreciation.
- The candidates must finish submissions before the specified date.
- The best idea submitted will receive the Grand Prize.
- The selected idea will be displayed on the official website.
- The competition is conducted at LA and the candidates attend the same with friends and family.
- There are also other contests held for the contestants.
- One team that scores highest or one individual will receive the NSS Bruce M. Clark, Jr. Memorial Space Settlement Award with a prize of $5,000.
- If it is a team winning, the sum will be prize has to be divided evenly amongst them.
- The winner will be asked to make a live presentation about their work.
- All the attending contestants will be allowed to display a poster of their work.
- There are special timings with sessions for the parents, teachers and contestants.
- The submissions made by the candidates must be related to orbital settlements only.
- The work cannot be on planet or moon.
- Any kind of materials on this topic may be submitted.
- The candidates must make their submissions as a Hard Copy.
- The candidates may have it in electronic form for future references.
- The candidates must have two copies of electronic forms.
- These have to be attached with the submission.
- The candidate must make sure that they submit their own work.
- Plagiarism will not be encouraged at any costs.
- The candidates can specify inspired notes along with the references of the books or website links included in their submissions.
- The candidates must not forget to include a bibliography in their submissions.
- The candidates’ submissions will not be returned.
- So the candidates must make a copy for themselves before submissions.
All aspiring candidates who love space and its fellows in space can take up this contest and shoe their love for the same. Winning contestants are greatly awarded. The candidates can attend the contest with their parents, teachers and mentors and enjoy the contest in various ways.