The Maulana Azad Educational foundation came into existence in memory of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, a prominent freedom fighter of India. His achievements knew no bounds as he served as a distinguished scholar in Urdu Literature and a prominent figure on the political front during the Indian Freedom movement. His eventful life found him a career in journalism as well. His values as a democratic and secular leader always proved him to be a humanitarian and positive personality.
The Maulana Azad Educational Foundation is a non-profit, voluntary social service oriented and completely a non-political organisation to promote education among socially backward classes of the society. The foundation has got registered itself with the Societies Registration Act in the year 1989. It is mainly funded by the Ministry of Minority Affairs. The general body of the Educational foundation comprises of 15 member team of which 6 members are ex-officials of the foundation itself. The rest of the nine members are selected by the President, Maulana Azad Scholarship Scheme.
The ministry of minority affairs was founded by resolve issues related to the minority sections of the society and help in the overall policy and planning, evaluation, coordination and review of the work continuously to benefit the students of the weaker sections of the society. The Maulana Azad scholarship scheme was established to the benefit of all the students and scholars who may have difficulty in sustaining the financial support for the higher studies.
About the scholarship
This scholarship intends to recognise, promote and assist the girls belonging economically weaker sections of the society (national minorities) to pursue their studies and couldn’t continue their studies without the financial support.
This scholarship known as the’ Maulana Abul Azad Scholarship for the meritorious girl’s students’ has so far assisted 137318 female students to pursue their education which totally amounts to around Rs.162 crores.
The scholarship is given to the pass-outs of Tenth students of minority sections of the society.
The amount of the scholarship fee is rupees 12000 which is provided to the students in two instalments of rupees 6000 each for the expenditure on the tuition fee for the college/school, accommodation fee and the expenditure on books, stationery and the apparatus, if required.
Criteria of Eligibility
- The student applying for the scholarship should be a female candidate who belong to minorities groups (Muslims, Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs, Parsis etc)
- The applicant should have secured minimum of 55 percentage in aggregate in the class tenth examination (secondary school leaving certificate) conducted by any recognised board of education.
- The student’s family income should not be more than INR 1,00,000 from all the sources.
- The income certificate should be obtained from the home station.
- The student should not be availing any other scholarship while applying for the above scholarship position.