The Department of Science and Technology, have established the Jawaharlal Nehru Fellowships, in order to promote cutting-edge scientific research in centers of excellence in India. A meritorious scientist of any Nationality, willing to join the research in India for twelve months can apply for this Fellowship. Nominations are received from the scientists and heads of highly recognized institutions and research centers.
The value of this fellowship is $100000 for a span of one year. In addition to this each fellow will receive an aggregated research grant of Rs.5.5 million, part of which may be utilized for project staff, travel allowance and other contingent expenses to carry out the research. The scientists who get selected have the liberty for the following.
- The scientist can select the place of research anywhere in India.
- They can have flexible duration that should be a span of twelve month spread over three years.
- They can choose the theme on which they will be pursuing the research.
- They can also choose research collaboration in India, if any.
The eligibility criteria for the fellowship are as below.
- The fellowship is open to scientist from foreign countries with high academic distinction and achievements.
- High academic profiles with election to the fellowships like Royal Society, Us and French Academies and their equivalent.
- The selected scientists must continue to be in research.
There is no specific form of application to be followed. The nominations for the fellowship must be sent to the Department of Science and Technology directly. The nomination should be accompanied by detailed and recent curriculum vitae of the nominated scientists. It also has a letter that expresses their willingness to take up the fellowship, if offered.
The nominations submitted are solicited through an open call. A search committee will select and recommend suitable candidate to Government of India. The host institutions for the Jawaharlal Nehru fellowships provide proper infrastructure, furnished housing and administrative support. The Department of Science and Technology and Government of India gives the host Institution 1 million rupees to cover such expenses.
The scientists for nominations are invited from Heads o Academic/ Research Institutions, President or Fellows of science academies and global leaders in science. This is a great opportunity for all the highly eminent scientists we have in the country. The greatest thing to feel about this fellowship is that, the scientists get to work for the Nation, and do something fruitful for a social cause. The compensation given the each scientist and the allowances are also very attractive. This shows what an important role the scientists will be playing once they get into this fellowship. Good Luck and Way to go scientists!!