Jagriti Yatra is an impressive expedition by train on the road of discovery and change undertaken by a multitude of motivated Indians, in their youth, particularly belonging to small towns and villages across India.
It is a 15- day expedition, covering 8000 km, a journey across the length and breadth of India, meeting eminent people who have helped in the progress of India – social activists, businessmen who have made their mark from humble beginnings and great Indian thinkers. Jagriti is all about ‘building India through enterprise’.
450 young Indians are chosen from several hundred applications, mostly from lesser know towns and villages in India. The idea is to give an opportunity to these youngsters to meet their role-models, gain confidence and find inspiration to forge ahead in life and bring about a positive change to every nook and corner of India.
Jagriti Yatra endeavours to cultivate 1 lakh entrepreneurs by the year 2022 and generate job opportunities for 10 lakh youngsters.
- Youngsters above the age of 20 years are eligible for the yatra.
- Youngsters with a potential to be leader are considered. Academic marks do not play an important role in the selection process.
- Youngsters with knowledge of India’s challenges and with a drive to address these issues are give preference.
- Focus is on candidates from Middle India, yet exceptional youngsters from all over India are also considered.
- There is equal male-female ration among candidates.
- The yatra further comprises 40 outstanding international candidates, adding a global flavour.
The Jagriti Yatra comprises of ‘Participants’ and ‘Facilitators’. Of the total 450 who undertake the expedition, 375 are participants and 75 are facilitators. Participants are the ones who are embarking on the yatra to learn and the facilitators are their mentors and guides. Each facilitator is in charge 6 to 10 participants during the yatra.
Selection process for the Yatra
- Interested youngsters can apply online or by post.
- Essay questions have to be answered to meet eligibility criteria.
- Random interviews and reference checks will be conducted.
- A panel of 30 experts world over will be on the selection committee.
- Applications from facilitators are assessed on their professional experience.
- If an application is selected, then financial particulars are needed, if one is looking for sponsorship.
- Applicants can log on to www.jagritiyatra.com to apply on line or to download application forms.
Jagriti Yatra is organized by the Jagriti Sewa Sansthan, which is a non-profit establishment. The Organization’s headquarters is located in Mumbai.
Jagriti Sewa Sansthan’s mission is centred on development in 7 spheres, namely, education; healthcare; water and sanitation; arts, culture and sports; agriculture; energy and manufacturing.