Institute of Banking Personnel Selection has initiated recruitment drive for clerks in public sector banks. There will be two exams in this drive. The preliminary and main exam, the number of vacancies has decreased this time and the number of applicants has increased. There are four main sections in this exam which needs to be mastered for selection. Through this article we will be sharing strategy for mastering reasoning section.
First of all the candidates should categorize all topics based on certain parameters and prepare topics in a priority order. The important parameters are:-
- The weightage of topic as per previous year’s trends.
- The difficulty level of the topic.
- The level of efforts required to master any topic.
The candidates can make following categories based on above parameters:-
- High weightage and easy to cover.
- Low weightage and easy to cover.
- High weightage and difficult to cover.
- Low weightage and difficult to cover.
The candidates should start topics in the above sequence, starting with high weightage and easy to cover topics. There are certain tips and techniques which should be kept in mind while covering these topics as given below:-
Classification or odd pair out / Series Completion/ Analogy:-
- These are the conventional topics although in latest bank exams the weightage of these topics has decreased but it’s better to be prepared for all kinds of situations.
- Try to remember all important analogous pairs like voice of animals, gender pairs etc.
- Remember numerical values of alphabets in reverse order as well.
Direction based questions:-
- While solving questions based on direction sense plot all eight directions on the paper.
- Pay special attention on turning points, label distances and angles neatly.
- Try to remember trigonometric triplets for fast calculations.
- If the statements are jumbled, plot directions using statements related to same parameters.
Order and Ranking:-
- Learn all basic tricks and techniques to solve order and ranking questions in less time.
- In recent exams the pattern of this topic has been changed a lot, where alphanumeric series and coded sequences are given. Practice questions from recent exams and quizzes.
- Use minimum overlap diagrams to solve syllogism question.
- Practice reverse syllogism questions also as in recent exams this type is common.
- Never rush to the options, pay special attention to the possibility situations.
- For optimal time of solving questions, practice questions as many as you can.
- Use sign and geometrical shapes to represent various relations and genders.
- If the statements are indirect, use related statements first.
- If the statements are in coded form, pay special attention on the relations if it is A to B or B to A, there may be mix of both as well.
- Practice questions from recently conducted exams and online quizzes from good online platform online.
- Sometimes generation gap method is very useful in eliminating the options, therefore the candidates must take chance with options to save previous time.
- This section is very easy and if asked in exam there remains about three to five questions which mean high output with low input.
- The questions can be asked in direct and coded form as well. The candidates should practice both types from recently conducted exams and online quizzes.
- The questions can be asked from old pattern and new patterns as well. The candidates should practice both types.
- There are certain patterns which repeat in almost every exam, practice questions based on these patterns from online quizzes and recently conducted exams.
- Make short notes of important patterns for quick revisions.
- In this topic concepts from almost all other topics are repeated.
- Solve each statements individually don’t jump to the conclusion with limited knowledge of question.
- Read options very carefully as minor gap can lead to negative marks.
- There are certain types in which the candidates are required to make decisions depending upon certain parameters. Read and analyze all statements very carefully.
- Practice questions from easy to tough level.
Data flow based:-
- This pattern is recently introduced in SBI PO exam; there are chances it can be repeated in IBPS Clerk exam as well.
- Go through all branches of data flow very carefully before taking any decision, as sight change in value can lead to different path.
Assertion and Reason:-
- Read all statements carefully, don’t predict future using given statements.
- Pay special attention on statements where always and never words are used.
- Assume whatever writer is thinking is going to be obeyed.
This topic is the most important one. The candidates must master this topic to secure their seats. The candidates should practice all level of puzzles for exam. The puzzles can be categorized into various categories based on following parameters:-
- The puzzles having one to two or three to four parameters.
- The puzzles having positive statements, or having mix of positive and negative statements.
- The puzzles having independent statements or Puzzles having interrelated statements.
- The questions are direct and not calculative
- The options are direct or tricky
- The options involve some sort of calculations
Once you are able to identify the level of difficulty follow a step wise approach to solve puzzles. The steps are given below:-
Step 1:- Read the complete paragraph at once (in ½ to 1 minute)
Step 2:- Write statements in short hand notes.
Step 3:- Now start with those statements which are direct and having relation with other statements
Step 4:- Now using negative statements eliminate possibilities.
Step 5:- Keep on solving puzzle using indirect and related statements.
The candidates must practice puzzles based on following types:-
- Seating arrangements with blood relation.
- Floor based puzzles with parameters
- Flow chart based puzzles
- Scheduling based Puzzles
- Classification type puzzles.
- Optimal path and optimal cost finding puzzles.
These are the required tips and techniques to be followed to master reasoning sections.
If you wish to be updated regarding the al upcoming bank exam notification 2018, download gradeup app. It provides free study material, unlimited quizzes, mock test, & updates for various competitive exams.
Also check our android app for school students: NCERT Solutions, RD Sharma, CBSE Guide class 6-10