The GATE is an examination conducted all over India to test the candidates in various areas like science, technology, engineering and architecture. Based on this score, the candidate is provided admissions into various post-graduate programs like M.E., M.Tech, and direct Ph.D. in Indian institutes. The candidate is supported through financial assistance provided by MHRD and other Government agencies. The score may also be useful for selection by Public and Private Sector Undertakings for employment screening purposes.
The eligibility criteria given must be clearly noted by the applicants. They must satisfy one of the given criteria.
- The candidate must hold or about to complete a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture/ Pharmacy
- The candidate must hold some degree which had the course duration of 4 years after plus 2.
- The candidate must hold or about to complete a Bachelor’s degree in Science.
- The candidate must hold or about to complete Master’s degree in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent.
- The candidate must hold or about to complete Post-BSc or Integrated Master’s degree programs in fields of Engineering/ Technology/ some four year program.
- The candidate must hold or about to complete Integrated Master’s degree programs or Dual Degree programs in Engineering/ Technology / some five year program.
- The candidate must hold or about to complete Integrated M.Sc. or Five year integrated B.S.-M.S. program.
- The candidate must have taken up B.E or B.Tech or B.Arch or equivalent examinations that are well accredited by MHRD, UPSC or AICTE.
The candidates applying must also submit all the required certificates like mark sheets, certificates from principal and other supporting documents as proofs. If the students applying foe GATE have arrears to be completed before their final year, they have to provide a certificate from the principal of their college or University about the same along with the other documents they submit.
There are a lot of new things added in GATE 2014. They are
- A new paper on Ecology and Evolution has been added to the examination.
- The examinations are conducted online and all the questions are multiple choice questions.
- Examinations will be held as forenoon and afternoon sessions.
- The application fee is revised. It is Rs.1500/- for male candidates. For women and backward classes the application fee is Rs.750/-.
Once the applications are submitted, the selection committee goes through the applications. The selected applicants are announced online and will receive letter about the selection. Then their admit card will be uploaded online. The respective students can download their admit cards form the link they are given. Even before applying for the examinations, the candidates must be clear about where they are going to attend the examination. Also the candidate can take up exam on only one paper selected.