The USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture) in collaboration with the World Cocoa Foundation (WCF) is pleased to announce the Cocoa Borlaug Fellowships for the candidates from Asia, Latin America and Caribbean countries.
The research fields include plant propagation methods, pests entomology and its control, cocoa genetics and breeding, plant nutrition which are for the Asian candidates. The candidates of Latin America and Caribbean countries have research fields such as genetics, breeding, soil fertility, plant propogation, control methods, research in particular for witch’s broom and frosty pod.
Those who have been awarded the fellowship will be required to work at US universities with one of its mentors. The mentors can either work at the universities, or government agencies or research centers for three months. After the completion of three months, the Mentor will visit the candidate’s home institution to collaborate with the university.
This allows the home institution and the mentor to have a good knowledge transition and involve in more scientific research.
The candidates have to satisfy the following requirements to be considered for the Cocoa Borlaug Fellowship.
- Should be the citizen of the eligible countries.
- Should have completed their Master’s or Higher degree in the academics relevant field.
- At least two years of relevant practical experience.
- Should be in his early or middle state of his/her research career
- Should be well conversant in English.
- Should be employed or working in any of the Government agency, University or Research Centre at the Home country.
- Should showcase willingness to work in his/her home country after the completion of the fellowship at the USA.
The candidates are selected on the basis of academic achievements and merits, professional research experience, scientific research attitude, willingness to work in the home institutions with new innovative ideas, flexible in nature, ability to work in a cross-cultural environment. The USDA also considers the applicants thoughts on his research areas and topics highlighted in the application along with the research attitude towards food security and trade.
Duration of the scholarship
The scholarship amount is not known. The candidates who are successful in securing the fellowship will be notified about the fellowship offer. The duration of the scholarship for the selected fellows is up to three months.
Mode of Application
The scholarship application has to be sent online.
The application from should have the following information.
- Duly filled in application form
- Duly signed approval form from the home Institution
- 3 page program proposal and plan of action
- Photocopy of passport identification page
- Letters of recommendation –Two
- Transcripts of degree received from the Home University