The Chevening Gurukul Program is awarded by UK Foreign and commonwealth’s office. It’s their flagship fellowship scheme for India. This aims at attracting professionals and scholars in their mid-career stage and show strong leadership potential. The selected fellows will be given an extensive, all expenses paid course at King’s College London, for twelve weeks.
Value of the scholarship
The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office offer a fully funded scholarship that covers the following
- Study fees
- Other allowance
- To and fro air tickets
- Local travel in London
- A Gratis Visa to UK
- Travel and Accommodation on study visits
This course is for twelve weeks. The fellows will bring exposure to the future leaders of India with best-practice case studies of leadership in the fields of government, innovation, health and industry in the UK. This is done through a variety of standard and different methods. They are like seminars, role-playing, shadowing and site visits. The course happens as a team. Not just the Kings College, the fellows also learn from leading professionals from divers sectors and policy leaders. The fellows are also taken for a trip to Geneva to interact with personnel from international agencies like World Trade Organization and the United Nations. This twelve week program throws light on areas like Sustainability Challenge, Stages of Democracy, Regulating Public life, Culture Matters, Science, Technology, Industry, From Finance to Facebook and Indo-UK business and Trade relations.
Eligibility and selection
The eligibility criteria for the scholarship are
- There are no age restrictions.
- The candidate should be a citizen of Chevening-eligible country.
- The candidate should be willing to come back to home country after the course.
- The candidate must hold a degree that is equivalent to upper-class honors degree in the UK.
- The candidate must demonstrate basic Chevening English requirement.
- The candidate is at least two years experienced at work.
- The candidate must possess high standard of written and spoken English.
- The candidate must be influencing with very good communication skills.
- The candidate must have a track record of good leadership, network ability and ambition.
- The candidate should have the ability to build up the collaboration between UK and India.
The scholarship is for fellows with high caliber possessing great personal, intellectual and interpersonal skills. The candidates are selected based on the following criteria.
- The candidate must have all the required sills for leadership in their home country.
- The candidates should have the motivation to build up their own career in another ten years from completion of the course.
- The candidate must have a clear post-scholarship plan.
- The candidate must be committees to networking in finding global solutions and in being in touch with alumni network in the home country.
The main objective of the course expects the candidate to complete the course successfully and effectively and help improve their own nation and build the relationship between UK and India.