Somerville College and The University of Oxford have established the Indira Gandhi Scholarship with the generous support of the Indian Government. Students with excellent academic ability are sure to get this scholarship and obtain the great opportunity of pursuing studies in these Universities.
About the scholarship
This scholarship is available for students resident in India or students with graduations from reputed Indian Universities. This scholarship mainly concentrates on the area of sustainable development. The students applying are expected to possess high academic ability with good merits and great leadership qualities. 40% of the scholarship is contributed by the University and the rest is contributed by other sponsoring universities and colleges.
The Scholarship covers 100% of University and College fees and a grant for living expenses. The grant given is at least 13726 pounds. The award covers fee for the full duration of the course. If the course selected is more than a year, then that fee is provided based on the previous year’s academic performance.
Eligibility for the scholarship
The candidates must take care of the following points while applying for scholarship.
- The candidate must apply for courses that are relevant to the Indira Gandhi Center’s agenda of Interdisciplinary research of sustainable development and India.
- The IGC basically will focus on few impact themes.
- The initial themes will be sustainable food and water and environmental conservation. There are other topics also.
- The candidate should be an Indian Citizen residing in India.
- The candidate should be willing to come back to India once the course is done.
- The scholarship is tenable at Somerville College only.
- All the eligible applicants will be considered.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- Change of course after selection is not applicable for scholarship.
Things to know
The applications have to be submitted online. The submitted applications should have a letter attached with all other documents, explaining why you think you are eligible for the scholarship. The candidates are selected based on merit and these documents. The selected candidates will be contacted through email and will also receive an award letter. The official web page will also be updated after the candidates have been notified. The candidates are then requested to follow the instructions given by the University.
The Indira Gandhi Centre, IGC, currently being developed by Somerville College, aims to equip India’s future leaders with the talent, skill and exposure they require to tackle the challenges that India and The World face in sustainable development. The scholars will be expected to get back to their home country to teach others in India and be an example for best leadership. The main objective is to convert the course they go through into a useful social solution.